What is Internal audit?
Internal audit is a continual improvement procedure to determine whether the quality system conforms to the planned arrangements and in practice. It can be an aid for identifying potential improvement to the system already in place. Internal audit procedure is conduct at planned intervals which may defines goals to achieve their objectives.
5 stages of internal audit process
- Scheduling the audit
- How to plan internal audit
- How to conduct internal audit and reporting the audit
- Corrective action and follow up of audit findings
- Internal audit records management
Simply, there are five general steps to complete internal audit in organization. Organizations are defining its planning and execution as its internal requirements. See blow step by step instructions of each phase of internal audit:
Scheduling the audit
- Give yourself enough time to prepare and complete the audit and follow up actions before the due date,
- Contact in advance the area/process owner and scheduled the audit date(s).
How to plan internal audit
- Review the Quality System Process Map diagram and the Process Matrix.
- Reviews of the relevant clauses in the ISO 9001 and TS 16949 standard.
- Review and refresh your knowledge of the relevant quality manual section and operational procedures,
- Working with quality assurance review relevant nonconformity reports, corrective actions, and quality issues reports for customer complaints, product or process trends that should be addressed as part of the audit.
- Review pass audit results and corrective actions.
- Review the present audit checklist and prepare additional notes and/or questions as needed based on the above points.
How to conduct internal audit and reporting the audit
- When conducting the audit, you should work with the process owner, area employees, and process documentation,
- Seek objective evidence demonstrating whether the audited activities conform to the requirements of ISO, the documented quality system, and whether the system is effectively implemented and maintained.
- Use the note evidence area to document objective evidence (Example: what you checked, who you talked to, records checked, errors, good points, and nonconformity).
- At the completion of the audit review the audit with the process owner, go over the strong points, weak areas, and noted nonconformity if any.
- If there are any questions or clarifications about the ISO, quality operating procedure requirements or audit documentation, review these issues with the quality assurance manager before completing the audit.
Corrective action and follow up of audit findings
When a nonconformity is noted, bring it to the attention of, and discuss it with, the process owner.
N.C. Report Form
Before the end of the audit, document each noted nonconformity is using the Audit Nonconformity Report form. You should use one form per finding, unless the findings are closely related and the corrective action would be the same.
- Auditor fills out only the first part of the form, describing the noted nonconformity finding.
- It is standard practice that, the auditor can kept a copy of corrective action with audit report. It is standard practice that, the auditor can kept a copy of corrective action with audit report. When all actions are takes from corrective action report are done through effective actions. Audit may close the corrective action report. Later on they will attach the original copy to the audit report.
- Normally, audit will be return original(s) copies to process owner, once the audit process is complete. Auditor will review before hand over the related documents.
- Make clear to the process owner that response and completion corrective actions are a priority.
When auditors are provide a non-conformity report to department head. Then department head or responsible manager will investigate the cause of the problem as evident in the audit report. Even they will find root cause of the problem for identify proper solution inline with issue. Department may take the corrective actions to appropriate problem to resolve the issue. The auditor reviews and approves the proposed action and follow up dates (if there are problems or questions, review these issues with the quality assurance manager).
You have to ensure that on immediate after the due date of implementation of corrective actions, the auditors should follow up with an inquiry or an audit. Auditor may help to determine the corrective action are implemented properly. When there objective are evidence, that mean the corrective action is effective. Auditor will confirm on all non-conformity are complied as per standards. Once they receive evince of objectives are properly as standards requirements. In case of further full implement require, a new follow-date is agree upon the request.
Internal audit records management
- The Leader of auditor will be prepare the original audit report and closed nonconformity report. It may includes closer notes, close nonconformity details and signs of all auditors. This report will be provided to quality assurance for final review and audit closure.
- In case of all actions and closeout of the audit cannot completed as on audit due date, the auditor or process owner should contact the quality assurance manager for guidance.