The 8 Phases of APQP – An Overview of Key Requirements
8 Phases of APQP
- Activity of APQP is carried out for any special customer requirements received, where entire manufacturing process cycle needs to be established. APQP is carried out through different phases.
- After receiving the inquiry for development of new products, immediately following actions are to be initiated. -A cross functional team generally comprising of personnel from production, QC, Purchase, Planning and marketing is formed. One team leader is to be nominated.
The team should define the scope considering customer need, expectations & requirements. Document input should be Customer inquiry and Supported record have create as APQP time Schedule.
- In the first phase of plan & define program following outputs should be generated.
Defining customer requirements specific to product performance.
Preliminary process flow charts for product manufacturing
Preliminary listing of special product & process characteristics. Initial risk evaluation is done to ensure that risks encountered are considerable. Document input should be APQP Time Schedule and Supported record have create as Product & Process Flow Chart, Evaluation Checklist for Risk Measuring on initiate level.
- In the second phase of product design & development following outputs are to be generated Customer drawings / specifications review is completed resulting in finalized product drawing/ specifications. Special product and process characteristics are documented.
Prototype control plan, if prototype is to be developed. (If specified by the customer).
New equipment, tooling, and facilities requirements are reviewed.
Gauges / testing equipment requirements, if any are reviewed.
Team feasibility review report shall be signed by all team members, on review as above i.e. once feasibility of product manufacturing is ensured. For the Records needs a Design information, checklist of design information, , new Equipment Tooling and testing equipment
- In the third phase of process design and development, the inputs from the second phase are to be taken in order to generate the following outputs. Packing standards if specified by customer and different from existing packing. Product / process quality system review is carried out. .
Process flowchart if being different from existing process is prepared.
Floor plan layout if existing floor plan needs some modification for manufacturing, new part family or new type of machine / equipment is to be made available.
PFMEA, if new PFMEA is to be prepared or existing PFMEA needs revision for new product development.
Process instructions, if any new process is to be developed or product specific care is to be taken during manufacturing. Measurement system analysis plan, if new measurement system is to be used.Preliminary process capability study, if applicable.
Review all above mentioned activities to ensure management support.
Process instructions, if any new process is to be developed or product specific care is to be taken during manufacturing. Measurement system analysis plan, if new measurement system is to be used. Preliminary process capability study, if applicable.Review all above mentioned activities to ensure management support.
- in the fourth phase of product and process validation, the inputs from the third phase is taken in order to generate following outputs Production trials run. Measurement system evaluation, if new / non – evaluated measurement system is involved. Preliminary process capability study. Production part approval. Sample performance test if required. Packing evaluation, if new packing is to be used.
Quality planning sign- off and management support is ensured.Manufacturing process conformance is ensured.
Process specifications as referred in control plan (e.g. draw bench speed, Annealing temperatures etc.) are finalized once process sign off is over.
- In the fifth phase of feedback, assessment and corrective action, the inputs from the fourth phase are to be taken in order to generate the following outputs:
Reduced variation through appropriate SPC tools to demonstrate stable process, where applicable.
Customer satisfaction through approvals from customers & regular supplies.
- The progress of APQP will be reviewed in the management review meeting.
This Post Has 7 Comments
Pingback: Production floor plan checklist points : APQP Checklist Points
Pingback: PROCESS FLOW CHART CHECKLIST POINTS : APQP FORMAT
Pingback: Product/Process Quality Checklist points : APQP
Pingback: NEW EQUIPMENT, TOOLING, AND TEST EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST POINTS : APQP
Pingback: Design Information Checklist Format : APQP
Pingback: Design information Checklist Points : Advance Product Quality Planning
Pingback: How to Do Process change / Product Change Controls
Comments are closed.